Phil is off to a pretty rough start in his opening PLO match against, for those of you that don’t know then this is the first match of the Galfond Challenge where he has challenged the whole world to play him heads up despite being out of the high stakes action for a few years!
The terms are 25,000 hands to be played at $100/$200 Pot Limit Omaha with a 2:1 side bet on the eventual winner once all the action is done!
Rough start to the first #GalfondChallenge. The first couple of days, I wasn’t sweating, but at this point I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t discouraged.
Good timing for a day off. Hopefully, I can get enough rest to bring my A-game next week.
— Phil Galfond (@PhilGalfond) January 26, 2020
How things stand as of the fifth day of the challenge with around 2,500 hands played Galfond is down around $270,000.00.
Not the best start at all, we could see swings of a few million by the end of this heads up match unless Phil manages to start running better in these big pots.
Coolers make big pots
As with any time there are huge pots in any game it’s usually because both players have a huge slice of the board and some of the biggest pots in this heads up match have been exactly this, with this pot Galfond pots the River with the nut flush on this paired board with Veni holding the nuts with the top full house.
This one ended up with around $60,000 in the middle and Galfond’s bottom set holds Vs this monster draw in his opponent’s hand.
This is a huge setup hand with the board giving Venividi the nut straight on the flop along with blockers to the board pairing and the second nut flush draw, but Galfond manages to River a pair up and scoops a huge pot with Queens full of Jacks on this run-out!
These matches are being streamed with the likes of Tonka and Joe Stapleton commentating on the rail watching two tables of action at a time.
The question begs, has Phil Galfond wrote some cheques he can’t cash? Hopefully, he invested in a tonne of crypto pre-boom and these stakes are now just a drop in the ocean for him, because with this being the first of six matches that are confirmed he could be in the hot seat to lose a tonne of money.
If you fancy wagering yourself on any of these outcomes then betting is available on PokerShares.com for all of these challenges!
We will be sure to bring you updates as the match progresses!
Grab 10 FREE SPINS Today With No Deposit Needed!
Mr Vegas Casino is offering a fun 10 Free Spins on Sign Up to New Customers! With NO DEPOSIT!
SIGN UP TODAY AND USE CODE: PRINCE10
See T&Cs below. 18+ Only. begambleaware
Free spins on Signup
1. The above offer free spins on sign up offer is valid from December 1st,2019 – December 31st, 2019 at 23:59 GMT.
2. Only wagers made with Bonus Funds after the first successful deposit will contribute towards the wagering requirement
3. Winnings from free spins must be wagered 50 times before a withdrawal may be made. Wagering will start after a successful deposit is made. Wagering contributions apply and vary from game to game.
4. Excluded countries for the no deposit offer are UK. To enjoy the set of 10 Free Spins on the Game “ENCHANTED PRINCE” upon registration use the code “PRINCE10”
5. Maximum conversion from free spins is $/£/€ 20.
6. The wagering requirement for free spins bonuses shall be met within 7 days otherwise the free spins and the winnings from it will be forfeited.
7. By using the promotion code, you opt-in to the promotion and agree to its Terms and Conditions.
8. To be eligible for the bonus you must register your account through this page.
9. Any Player can receive up to 5 Registration Bonuses on the Progressplay network.
10. The promotion is not available to customers depositing with Skrill payment method.
11. Wagering occurs on real balance first.
12. The Bonuses cannot be withdrawn. All winnings generated from wagering the Bonuses will be credited to your bonus balance.