So we often see all these good players playing pretty aggressively and 3-Betting a pretty wide looking range, how do these solid player choose these hands?
We are going to break down this part of every good aggressive player’s strategy so we can use it in our games.
What are the benefits of having a Mixed 3-Bet?
Mixing our 3-Bets means that sometimes we will just flat call with a hand and sometimes we might 3-Bet with the same hand.
There will be hands which we always want to 3-Bet because they are just too valuable and we want to grow the pot as large and as fast as possible, but there are other decisions which are closer so we don’t 3-Bet all the time, but 50% of the time will work nicely.
This allows us to remain unpredictable, there is nothing easier than playing on a table where someone only 3-Bets with a huge hand, players can then just set mine or put them on a huge pair and outplay them on dicey run-outs.
When we mix in other hands to 3-Bet we aren’t playing like these nits you will see at your tables, sometimes we will have KK, other times we might just have A5s… this is going to have a good effect on our overall gameplan, we will get more action with our good hands in the long run and we can play some big pots with hands that will flop deceivingly well that other players might not think is in our 3-Betting range.
We will want to have at least an amount of fold equity that is possible to want to choose one of these hands for a 3-Bet, if we are up against players that call every re-raise then flatting is going to be much better for us than bloating the pot with a marginal holding.
Which types of hands will we want to use for mixed 3-Bets?
We will want to have our hands in these easy to manage categories in order to know what we are going to do to mix our 3-Bets.
So look at this as an example, we are going to easily fold junky hands like 65o, A7o, K8o etc, all of these hands are a victim of what we call bad reverse implied odds.
Let’s take a look at A7o for example, so we flat call a raise with it and the board comes A 2 9 rainbow, how are we going to play this hand out, we win if we are checked to often enough but our opponent is going to have so many strong hands in their range, A9s, AT, AJ, AQ, AK, 22 and 99 are all very likely, so we can lose a good few bets in pots like this and never know where we are at!
Let’s look at our calling range, we have hands here that can be dominated some of the time, so we don’t want to blow the pot up to a huge size here but we have enough equity to continue through a call and play some post-flop looking for good boards for our holdings.
We are going to want to use more versatile hands for our mixed 3-Betting selection, hands that are often going to be live versus our opponent when we are called and that can flop very well.
So hands like A5s, QJs, KQo, 78s+ all make a tonne of sense as these holdings play great and mixing these in will allow us to either win pre-flop or we can look to win a bigger pot with our aggression after the flop.
Then we have our 100% 3-Betting range which is going to include all our super strong hands like TT+ AQs+ and AKo.
Do you want 10 FREE SPINS with NO DEPOSIT needed?!
Mr Vegas Casino is offering a fun 10 Free Spins on Sign Up to New Customers! With NO DEPOSIT!
SIGN UP TODAY AND USE CODE: PRINCE10
See T&Cs below. 18+ Only. begambleaware
Free spins on Signup
1. The above offer free spins on sign up offer is valid from December 1st,2019 – December 31st, 2019 at 23:59 GMT.
2. Only wagers made with Bonus Funds after the first successful deposit will contribute towards the wagering requirement
3. Winnings from free spins must be wagered 50 times before a withdrawal may be made. Wagering will start after a successful deposit is made. Wagering contributions apply and vary from game to game.
4. Excluded countries for the no deposit offer are UK. To enjoy the set of 10 Free Spins on the Game “ENCHANTED PRINCE” upon registration use the code “PRINCE10”
5. Maximum conversion from free spins is $/£/€ 20.
6. The wagering requirement for free spins bonuses shall be met within 7 days otherwise the free spins and the winnings from it will be forfeited.
7. By using the promotion code, you opt-in to the promotion and agree to its Terms and Conditions.
8. To be eligible for the bonus you must register your account through this page.
9. Any Player can receive up to 5 Registration Bonuses on the Progressplay network.
10. The promotion is not available to customers depositing with Skrill payment method.
11. Wagering occurs on real balance first.
12. The Bonuses cannot be withdrawn. All winnings generated from wagering the Bonuses will be credited to your bonus balance.